It can be a difficult decision to decide to send your teen to a therapeutic boarding school. There is the hope that you can figure out and overcome your challenges together at home. There is also the reluctance to send your child to live away from home. That said, if you feel like your teen’s mental wellness is at risk and your relationship is strained, you may just be surprised at all of the benefits that a therapeutic boarding school can provide to your teen and to your relationship with your teen.
What to expect from a therapeutic boarding school?
Do you know what a therapeutic boarding school is? As the name would apply, it is a boarding school. Teens live at the facility, where they are able to focus on their schoolwork while also undergoing various types of therapy. Each therapeutic solution and program will be well-suited to address the individual mental health concerns that your teen is struggling with.
Troubled teens who are struggling with emotional, behavioral or psychological concerns will move into the year-round housing that is offered by the boarding school. Here, they will live and study amongst other students, take part in the academic program, get the right type of therapy they need and also take part in recreational opportunities.
Therapeutic boarding schools are highly structured. They offer programs that can help teens to focus on their education while building on their emotional and mental health skills.
How can a therapeutic boarding school help teens?
Before making the decision to send your teen to a therapeutic boarding school you should be sure of the benefits for your teen. There are several benefits that teens are able to see. Keep in mind that not all teens will feel each of the potential benefits, due to the difference in circumstances each of us faces.
Some of the benefits for teens could include the following:
- Removing teens from stressful situations. Many teens struggling with mental wellness or addiction and behavioral issues feel that their current living situation is making things more of a challenge. Parents may not know the right way to respond to a troubled teen. Teachers, coaches, and others may not understand the problems your teen is facing, and they may actually be making things worse. A teen already in crisis may feel overwhelmed and stressed living at home, going to school, and being around family and peers. A therapeutic boarding school can remove a teen from that environment and provide a fresh start in a safe and structured environment.
- New like-minded peers. Your teen’s peer circle may be filled with those who fuel their inability to cope or heal. Therapeutic boarding school will allow your teen to meet others who will understand how he feels.
- Intensive support. Outpatient treatments and therapies can offer great benefits. But a therapeutic boarding school will offer intensive around-the-clock support to a teen in crisis. The supportive framework will offer an immersive experience.
- Schoolwork need not be a concern. More often than not, teens who are struggling with mental health concerns, behavioral issues, and substance abuse will see their grades slipping. Your teen will be able to catch up, keep up, and refocus on his education.
- Family support. Therapeutic boarding schools offer a supportive framework that includes several types of therapy. This often includes therapy for the family as a whole. You and your teen will be able to work through your shared issues, speak about your personal issues, and find a way forward together.
How can a therapeutic boarding school help parents of teens?
You may wonder how a therapeutic boarding school can help you, as a parent. In addition to seeing your teen getting the valuable help that he needs, there are actually several ways that you can get the right type of help through your teen’s experience at a therapeutic boarding school.
Family therapy and support is the primary benefit that you will experience. As your teen is able to work through his concerns with the various therapeutic solutions offered to him, he will be more receptive to taking part in family therapy sessions. You could expect to see a fair bit of aggression and anger and frustration during those first few sessions.
However, with time, your teen’s approach will change. You’ll find them gradually becoming more self-aware and more willing to tackle problems versus blowing up because he’s confused, conflicted, or frustrated.
The changes you see in them will help you start working on your relationship again. You’ll also find that therapeutic boarding schools can offer access to the resources that you will need to pursue therapy for yourself. There may also be support groups that you can be connected with.
The best benefit for parents of teens is that your struggling teen will start to find his way back to what normalcy looks like for him. And he’ll start to find his way back to his family.
Working towards a stronger relationship with your teen
You know how important it is for your teen to be working hard on addressing the concerns that he’s been struggling with. Whether he’s struggling with an anxiety disorder, depression, a behavioral issue or a drug addiction, your teen has a long road ahead of him. It won’t be easy at all, but this is why it’s crucial that your teen feels and knows they are supported at every junction. What that support looks like may change as he begins to win the battles he’s fighting. The key is that the support is without condition and is unwavering, even on the days when your teen is acting out, being verbally abusive, and refusing to communicate. By letting your teen know that you will always be by their side, you’ll be doing your part to rebuild and strengthen those connections with them.
It may not seem possible today, but your teen will one day recognize and appreciate the support that you’ve given them. And these life-changing moments all start with your teen getting the help they need at a therapeutic boarding school. It could feel counterproductive to send your teen away to bring them closer to you but remember that your teen first needs to address and find healthy coping mechanisms for the struggles he is faced with. Once he has those coping mechanisms and healthy tools by his side, he will be much more receptive to focusing again on your relationship.
To learn more about how a therapeutic boarding school may be the right option to meet the needs of your family, reach out to HelpYourTeenNow. We can also connect your family with each of the resources that you need to get your teen the right type of help when he needs it the most.