Mom and dad, the hard part is over—you have already decided to place your troubled teen in a therapeutic boarding school—now do not let yourself get overwhelmed picking which school is right for your teen.
Twelve Tips For Picking A Therapeutic Boarding School
- Single sex or co-ed school: For boys, an all boy school is generally the best choice. Boys learn differently from girls so an all boy school caters to their unique needs.
- Educational Philosophy: What is the school’s teaching style? Do they have and follow a motto? Do they follow a prescribed curriculum?
- Therapy component: Does the therapy offered address all your troubled teen’s needs? What type or types of therapy is used?
- Location: How does the location factor into the program? Is it far enough away from home so your teen will be free from outside influences?
- Reputation: Search for what other parents and former students have to say about the program. Has it won any awards or been recognized in some other significant manner?
- Accreditation: Is the school accredited?
- Licensed: Is the school licensed? Are staff members licensed? Do not assume every school you look at is licensed. Licensing laws vary by state.
- Program length: Is the program long enough to address your teen’s specific issues?
- Communication: How will the school communicate with you? Will you be able to communicate with your teen? If so, how often? Again, do not assume free communication is permitted. Ask for their specific policy so you know before placing your child.
- Visits: Will you be able to visit your teen for birthdays or holidays? Do not assume there is an open door policy for special occasion visits. Some programs have strict rules. Know them before you commit to any therapeutic placement for you troubled teen.
- Cost: What is the total program cost? Is any portion covered by your insurance?
- Medical Needs and medication: Does the school accept teens with unique medical needs such like diabetes or severe food allergies? Is behavior medication used, encouraged, or prohibited? It is the best interest of your teen if he or she is currently taking medication to be able to continue.
Choosing a therapeutic school for your troubled teen does not have to be a daunting task. These tips should help you find the right placement for your teenager.
Sundance Canyon Academy is one of the best therapeutic boarding schools in Utah. We are more than willing to answer all of these questions and any others you may have in your search for the right therapeutic boarding school. Whether you choose us or not, we want you to rest assured that we are here to help guide you through this difficult process.