Troubled teens are plagued by various emotional and behavioral problems. It is important to realize that while these issues can be overcome, your teenager requires more help than you can provide at home and a therapeutic boarding school might be the best solution for you.
Selecting the right facility to send your teen to is a crucial step towards setting them on the right path. Unfortunately, therapeutic boarding schools have acquired an undeserved bad rap and this might make you anxious about what to expect.
To ease your mind, we’ll dispel some of the most common misconceptions we’ve come across.
- Therapeutic boarding schools are like boot camps. Although boot camps that promise to “straighten out your teen” do exist, they are very different from therapeutic boarding schools. Therapeutic schools focus on providing quality care to assist your teen in improving and managing their behavior. Also unlike boot camps, therapeutic boarding schools have psychiatrists, counselors and therapists to care for and guide your teen.
- Sending my teen away means I’ve abandoned him. The idea that sending your teen to a therapeutic school means that you’ve abandoned him is a huge misconception. You may feel guilty over your decision and you may even think that you’ve failed as a parent. This is not true at all. In fact, making the decision to send your teen to a special school where they can get the help they need to live happy and successful lives shows how much you love them.
- Therapeutic boarding schools are too expensive. Quite a number of teens at therapeutic schools receive financial aid in form of loans, scholarships or grants. If you are worried about the cost you’ll incur when sending your teen to one of these schools, talk to Help Your Teen Now. We will help you figure out how to fund your teen’s treatment as well as assist you to navigate your insurance options.
- My teen won’t have any fun at a boarding school. Therapeutic boarding schools do have strict rules that your teen will have to adhere to. However, most of these schools also have experiential therapy programs like art, music, recreation and culinary options that your son or daughter will enjoy participating in. Other than helping teens grow physically, these activities also teach them to work as a team and help improve their self-esteem and confidence.
- I won’t be allowed to interact with my teen while they are at a therapeutic boarding school. Another huge misconception is that parents will be isolated from their children. While these boarding schools might limit phone calls and visits during the initial enrollment period, this situation is not permanent. In fact, family involvement and counseling are recommended and sometimes required, to help your teen develop better behavior. So rest assured you will see your child.
Sending your teen to a therapeutic boarding school is a huge decision. Contact Help Your Teen Now and let us help you find the right facility for your teenager.